More Stretches to Prevent Shin Splints
Shin splints, otherwise known as Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome, happen when a person experiences pain in the area of the shins. The shins are the bones located in the front part of the lower leg.
Shin splints occur when there is too much pressure on the muscles attached to the bones of the lower leg. Athletes and people who do a lot of running or who have sudden starts and stops in their activities are prone to this condition. To reduce the chances of incurring this painful condition, there are several stretches that can be done as a preventative measure that a person can do before performing any of these activities.
Preventative Stretching Exercises for Shin Splints Sufferers
1. Partner Assistance Stretch: This is one of the best stretches for helping to prevent shin splints as it targets the muscles in from of the shins also known as the tibialis anterior muscles. To perform this stretch, one should lie on the ground, lift both legs, and make a ninety-degree angle with the floor. The partner should then hold the soles and push towards the ground. Hold this position for thirty seconds and do it again up to four times.
2. Wall Stretches: There are several wall stretches that are beneficial for shin splints all of which are very effective for relieving tension in the calves. If the calf muscles are properly stretched, it reduces tension on the shins thus preventing a person from developing shin splints. Start the stretch by standing an arm length away from the wall. Then, start leaning towards the wall while keeping the knee straight and the heel planted on the ground. Do one leg at a time and hold the position for thirty seconds.
3. Towel Stretch: The towel stretch uses the same principle as the partner assistance stretch. This is one of the basic stretches for shin splints that target the calves and hamstrings. Do this stretch by sitting on the ground with legs straight. Put the towel around the soles of the feet and pull it towards the body while keeping the knees straight. Hold the position for thirty seconds and repeat at least four times.
All of these stretches will help loosen tight leg muscles. By doing them before exercise, the muscles around the shins will be put under the same stress that they are put under when performing strenuous activities only it will be controlled and used in such a way that it will actually strengthen them.
There are many other ways of preventing shin splints and the links to the posts below will provide details about some of them.
- 3 Shin Splint Stretches That Will Keep Your Splints at Bay!
- Which Running Shoe is the Best?
- How to Get Rid of Shin Splints Pain In As Little As 15 Minutes
- Kinesio Tape For Shin Splints
…there are many more posts like this on getridofshinsplints.org, just browse around and I’m sure you’ll find something you’ll find beneficial or that you needed to know more about,
Never believe that shin splints are an unavoidable bedfellow of your chosen activity!
If it is too late for preventative stretching then the next step is to learn how to relieve shin splints pain and eventually learning how to eliminate them altogether which is absolutely possible with the right treatment and advice.
Have a great shin splints free day,
Tagged with: Stretches to Prevent Shin Splints
Filed under: Stretches for Shin Splints
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!